Saturday, November 1, 2008

Legend of the Seeker

I have been waiting for this day, for quite some time!
The Sword of Truth Saga, written by my all-time favorite author, Terry Goodkind, has leapt from the printed page to the small screen.
I always knew that, due to the depth & scope of the saga, it would be highly unlikely that I would ever get to see this saga on the big screen. Others realized this too, and decided that it would be best to attempt it via television.
When I first heard that Sam Raimi & Robert Tapert (Evil Dead Trilogy, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and Xena: Warrior Princess) were going to be the executive producers behind the series, I immediately became extremely excited, as I knew that the saga could not be in better hands!

What I do not understand, is the fact that it aired (here, in Wisconsin) tonight at 11:30pm! (also, the show was on FOX, when it is backed by Disney - I would have thought this would mean it would be on ABC) Whatever! It would not matter what time, or what show this went up against, this would be my 1st choice!
I just implore and beseech you to seek out this show for yourselves!
Tonight was the Series Premiere - it was the start of 22 (1 hour) episodes, which will pretty much cover the 1st book in the saga - Wizard's First Rule
[Terry Goodkind completed the saga, just last November - there are 12 books in the saga, and if you have never read them, they will be the best books that you have ever read! No one writes like Terry Goodkind! He will make you feel every single emotion know to humankind!]

Here is a brief trailer of the series:


As for the Plot Summary - here it is, in Terry's own words:

[Millions of readers the world over have been held spellbound by this valiant tale vividly told.
Now, enter Terry Goodkind's world, the world of The Sword of Truth]

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help. . . and more.
His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.

In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Khalan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword - to invoke within himself something more noble.
Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed. . . or that their time has run out.

This is the beginning. One Story. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.


Richard Cypher & Kahlan Amnell

Craig Horner as Richard & Bridget Regan as Kahlan
For those of you who are already familiar with the saga, here are some of my thoughts regarding tonight's 2-hour Premiere:
I need not have worried, at all, about the casting - Craig Horner (who I only know from See No Evil) was excellent as Richard Cypher! [I have to hold my tongue, for those who are not familiar with Richard's destiny!] I can only say that Craig played the simplicity of Richard wonderfully! We have to remember that this is the very beginning - Richard has no idea of the things that are in store for him. . .
Bridget Regan - WOW - I am not familiar with her, yet I feel that she incarnates Kahlan 100%!
She was outstanding!
Bruce Spence as First Wizard Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander - again, 100% incarnate! Absolutely phenomenal!
[I laughed, out loud, when the 1st time we see him, he is butt-naked - that is so Zed!] :-)
It was cool to see Jay Laga'aia (Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!) playing the role of Chase - he may not have been at all who I would have pictured, but I can live with the choice!
As for Craig Parker as Darken Rahl - time will tell. We haven't really seen too much of him yet. [though after seeing him, in just this little bit, I am definitely looking forward to seeing him in next year's Underworld: Rise of the Lycans]
For me, just hearing the names D'Hara, Hartland, the Midlands, etc spoken aloud, has been a dream come true!
When Kahlan first took out The Book of Counted Shadows, I actually shivered, and when Zed named Richard as the true Seeker, I had chills & goosebumps, literally!
Also, the fact that they even included the Gars and Bloodflies, as well as Shar the night wisp - Awesome! I am so in heaven right now!! :-)
If you have a problem finding the show, in your guide, visit http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/, here you can enter your zip code, and it will tell you what time & what station it is playing on - in your area.
In the meantime, let me leave you all with the Wizard's First Rule:
People will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.
Until next week's episode,
Jason

No comments: