Friday, November 28, 2008

Four Christmases

Genre - Comedy
Year Released - 2008
Running Time - 82 minutes
Rated PG-13 (for some sexual humor and language)
Directed by Seth Gordon (who also directed the Documentary The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - about arcade games, particularly Donkey Kong, and those who play them)
Written by Matt Allen, Caleb Wilson, Jon Lucas, and Scott Moore

Cast Includes:
Vince Vaughn (Swingers, Old School, Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers, The Break Up, etc)
Reese Witherspoon (Freeway, Pleasantville, Legally Blonde 1 & 2, Walk the Line)
Robert Duvall (The Apostle, Falling Down, Sling Blade, Apocalypse Now, etc)
Jon Favreau (Director of Elf, Zathura, and Iron Man)
Tim McGraw (yes, the Country Singer - he was also in Flicka)
Mary Steenburgen (Elf, Philadelphia, Back to the Future: Part III)
Kristin Chenweth (Olive, from the television show Pushing Daisies - she was also in RV)
Dwight Yoakam (yes, the Country Singer - he was also in Red Rock West, Sling Blade, Panic Room, and Crank)
Sissy Spacek (Carrie, JFK, An American Haunting)
Jon Voight (Anaconda, Mission Impossible, Enemy of the State, etc)

Rating: 4 Skulls

Plot Summary:
Vince Vaughn & Reese Witherspoon portray a couple who are forced to spend Christmas Day visiting each of their four divorced parents.

Review:
If you've been a follower of this Blog, then you know that I generally wait for Comedies to hit DVD.
However, with the disappointment of Transporter 3, on Wednesday, I decided to go ahead and give Four Christmases a shot, and I am very glad that I did!

First of all, you all know that I am a big fan of MMA, so when I first saw Jon Favreau & Tim McGraw portraying Vince Vaughn's "UFC trained" cage-fighting brothers, I knew that I would eventually see this one anyway, and I just have to say that they are absolutely hysterical!
There is also a great scene where Jon Favreau and his wife (played by Katy Mixon) play a round of the party-game Taboo - hilarious!
And the scene above, where Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon portray Mary & Joseph in a church play (where Dwight Yoakam is the Pastor!) I was dying! :-)

What really got to me though is Vince Vaughn's reaction to baby vomit. . . I am not as bad as he is, however I react somewhat the same way around vomit - I was laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes!


So, if you are in the mood for a holiday comedy, then I definitely recommend this one!

Here's the Trailer:


Jason

4 comments:

Zachary Kelley said...

This is one that I strangely wanted to see, but I doubt I'll make it to the theater for it. I do feel better now that I've read your review that it wont be total crap. I don't like Reese Witherspoon much though, but if it's as funny as you say I'll deal with it.

thebonebreaker said...

LB,

While I thought it was very funny, it can definitely wait for DVD (as can any comedy, in my opinion)

I do not have an issue with Witherspoon. . . I just think it was good casting, as she is so tiny compared to Vaughn! :-)

J

wiec? said...

my mom is going to see this tomorrow. during thanksgiving everytime the commercial was on she's say "that vince vaughn is so funny."

glad she won't be disappointed.

thebonebreaker said...

Evil,

You'll have to let me know what your mother thought of it! :-)

J