Friday, December 6, 2019

Doctor Sleep [Book Review]

Generally, I prefer to read the book before the movie. I bought Doctor Sleep, when it was first released, with the intention of re-reading The Shining and then delving into Doctor Sleep. It didn't work out that way though. Before I knew it, the movie was released, and I decided to go ahead and watch the movie first.

Aside from slight character casting, this book has got to be one of the most faithful book-to-movie adaptations that I have ever read. Of course, you cannot fit everything in a 500+ page novel into a two-and-a-half hour runtime, but Mike Flanagan did a superb job with his screenplay, cutting certain characters and plot points to better streamline his film. (One of the storylines that Flanagan decided to cut left a welcome surprise revelation in the book that I was happy about.)

Needless to say, if you enjoyed the movie, you will definitely enjoy the book, and if you haven't seen the movie yet, this is one of King's fastest paced novels.

5/5 Skulls

No comments: