Friday, October 4, 2013

Shadowlands [Book Review]

Genre - "Psychological" Horror
Year Published - 2013
Length - 263 [digital] pages *Read on my Nook
Written by Alan S. Kessler

Rating: 2 Skulls

Plot Summary:
*Shadowlands is the story of a young boy, innocent and malevolent, who endures abuse by creating a world of shadows where he can escape beatings and the dead.

It is a journey across a unique, internal landscape where there is no border land between sanity and madness; only a compelling blending of the two into a power strong enough to summon love and exact revenge.

The main character is not someone the reader will easily forget. He is a ghost, rising from the story's shattering final pages, who asks that before judging evil we first live with those who made it and taste, as he did, what they put into their witches brew.

Review:
*The above plot summary is directly from Barnes & Noble - I wrote it, verbatim, as it explains, better than I, what exactly this book is about. (and with much greater fanfare than I would have bestowed)

If you recall, I reviewed Kessler's debut novel [A Satan Carol] back in February.
That review received 2 Skulls as well...

While I think that this book is an improvement over his debut, there is just something about Kessler's writing style that just doesn't click with me.
I'm not exactly sure just what it is.
I think he is just a bit too allegorical for my taste. I equate it as if Hemingway decided to write a horror novel - take that as you will.
Also, I just feel that there isn't enough true character development.

I almost rated this one 3 Skulls, but it all goes back to if I can put a book down or not, and this is one of those books that I just had to put effort into reading.

Do not let my rating deter you though.
If the above summary peaks your interest, by all means, give it a shot!
Perhaps it is just me, and I am completely missing something.

If any of you out there in "Blogger-land" decide to read this book, please let me know YOUR thoughts on it!

Jason

No comments: