Monday, December 8, 2008

Jack Frost

Note: This is not the family-friendly Michael Keaton version of Jack Frost. . .

Genre - Horror/Comedy
Year Released - 2006
Running Time - 89 minutes
Directed by Michael Cooney (who also directed a sequel to this, titled: Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman)
Written by Michael Cooney (who also wrote Identity) and Jeremy Paige
Cast Includes:
Scott MacDonald
Christopher Allport
Stephen Mendel
Rob LaBelle (Eddie from the television series First Wave)
Shannon Elizabeth (American Pie 1 & 2 - this was her 1st film)

Rating: 2 Skulls

Plot Summary:
When his prison transport collides with a truck full of "genetic material", condemned serial killer Jack Frost is inexplicably transformed into a terrifying, murderous snowman.
With a red plaid scarf, a carrot nose, and a heart made out of coal, the icy madman sets his sights on a small, rural town and goes on an old-fashioned killing spree.

Review:
Generally, I do not review awful films on this Blog, however I felt inclined to review this one, as it was the inspiration behind the cult-classic Monsturd [see review dated 10/18/08]

Where Monsturd got everything right, Jack Frost got everything wrong.
I get what the film was going for, however I feel that it failed miserably!
[I should have rated it the dreaded 1 Skull - however Monsturd may never have been, if not for this film, so for that I have to give it something]

The film starts off with a little girl wanting a story [a similarity shared with Monsturd, except that it was the little girl telling the story in that one] In this one, an adult tells the young girl the story of Jack Frost, who was nimble and quick and gouged out people's eyes with candlesticks! He smashed in skulls with sticks and stones, and used iron bars to crush their bones. . .
This Jack Frost is a serial killer who has been on a rampage through 11 states, killing 38 people in 5 years time.

Sounds all well and good, however the film rapidly deteriorates!
After an accident (described in the plot summary) Jack Frost becomes an evil snowman, who is able to freeze & unfreeze at will, and who can shoot icicles out of his body. [it's even worse than it sounds!]

I would avoid this one, if I were you!

Here's the Trailer:

This movie also has a sequel, which I have absolutely no desire to see!
If you are in the mood for a mutated monster flick, watch Monsturd instead - at least that one is funny! :-)

Jason


14 comments:

jessi1974 said...

The only part I've seen of this movie is the tub scene with Shannon Elizabeth. That was horrible enough (not in the good way) that I've avoided it like the plague since.

Before the guys reading this get excited, no, you don't see boobies. LOL

thebonebreaker said...

I hear ya Jessi!

Was he raping her or just bashing her up against the wall?!?
[I honestly have no clue] :-)

J

the jaded viewer said...

Didn't he use a carrot stick? I swear he did.

thebonebreaker said...

Yep! :-)

When she was in the tub, a carrot stick (his nose) floated to the top - then the bath water turned to snow, and Jack Frost appeared - perhaps the carrot stick attached itself elsewhere?!?

What a crappy movie - hahaha :-)

J

Fred [The Wolf] said...

Oh come on! This film is so stupid that I actually dig it. It's a horrible film, yes. But I can't say it doesn't entertain me. For that, it scores points. Great review though.

Anonymous said...

I think he was supposed to be raping her with the nose and he 'froze her' from the inside? Who the hell knows? Yikes...I'm sitting here munching carrots at work as I type this. LOL

thebonebreaker said...

Fred,

See Monsturd and then tell me which you enjoy better :-)

J

thebonebreaker said...

Jessi,

That is too funny!! :-)

J

Anonymous said...

Yeah I agree, this film was sooo bad. Of course I couldn't help but LOL when I saw the snowman in the sherriffs car and his head "spins" around and looks out the window. That scene was so ridiculous how could one not laugh.

thebonebreaker said...

I'm not sure that I ever "laughed"
Groaned is probably more like it... :-)

J

Anonymous said...

I gotta say, dude, this is definitely one area where you and I do not see eye-to-eye. I just gotta disagree with ya, man. I really, really dug this picture. The snowman rape/murder scene is, in my mind, one of the greatest bizarro bad movie strokes of gangrenous genius in the low budget schlock circuit existing on rental shelves today. The sequel isn't as good/good-bad as this one, but, personally, I rank it up pretty high. I'd probably give it a 3.5 out of 5. Maybe a 4, mayyybe. I'd have to watch it again sometime soon. But, of course, bad movies are my bread n' butter, baby, so my tastes are probably much more forgiving/fucked up that most people's.

thebonebreaker said...

William,

When I read your comment on my Monsturd review, I immediately thought - "I bet he loved Jack Frost" :-)

Which did you see first - Monsturd or Jack Frost? [just wondering if that matters - perhaps if I had not seen Monsturd, I would have liked this one a little bit better - though I doubt it] :-)

J

Anonymous said...

I actually saw Monsturd first.
What can I say? I love crap. Lol.

thebonebreaker said...

Well then, that blows my theory :-)

J