Friday, September 20, 2019

Rambo 5: Last Blood

While Last Blood is the best title choice, the title could easily have been Rambo: Excessive Blood.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I am a die-hard fan of Rambo, but this film is so over-the-top in its graphic violence, it comes across as a bit absurd. I felt as if I were watching a Slasher film (think Jason Vorhees with Rambo's training...). In fact, I have seen quite a few slasher flicks with less blood & gore than this movie.

I am not really sure why the film went the ultra-violent route. I guess the franchise just wanted to go out with an overall body count that will be difficult to beat?

Still, it was great seeing Stallone back in character. There were several times I had a huge grin on my face, from some great one liners to simply watching Rambo struggle with attempting to hold his rage back. Once he lets go though, boy do the flood gates open. There is a solid 10-minutes of kill after kill after kill, part of which is set to a Doors song. (I will never be able to listen to that song again without thinking of the tunnel scene in this movie.)

3/5 Skulls

No comments: