Thursday, October 4, 2018

Infestation [Book Review]

Genre - Creature Feature
Year Published - 2017
Published by Severed Press
Length - 139 (digital) pages
Written by +William Meikle

Plot Summary:
It was supposed to be a simple mission. A suspected Russian spy boat is in trouble in Canadian waters. Investigate and report are the orders.

But when Captain John Banks and his squad arrive, it is to find an empty vessel, and a scene of bloody mayhem.

Soon they are in a fight for their lives, for there are things in the icy seas off Baffin Island, scuttling, hungry things with a taste for human flesh.

They are swarming.

And they are growing.

Review:
This book is just what the doctor ordered. After finishing the last (600+ pgs.) novel that I read, I was in the mood for something light & fun, and this book delivered! I was able to just sit back, with my bag of Mackie's Haggis & Cracked Pepper potato chips, and enjoy the first adventure of Meikle's "S-Squad" (a Scottish Special Forces team).

In this mission, the team comes across giant isopods (crustaceans). You definitely do not want to be bitten or scratched by one of these things! The action within the story is fast and furious. (Now that I've written that, this book is kind of like a Fast & Furious film - mindless entertainment, and I mean that in a good way!) In fact, this story would make for a great SyFy movie.

This is Book 1 in the S-Squad series, and I am thrilled that there are already several more!
(Meikle must be pumping these out pretty quickly as this one was just released last year.)

So that I can come back to this review, I am going to go ahead and list the others here, as I will definitely be reading them:

Book 2 - Operation: Antarctica
Book 3 - Operation: Siberia
Book 4 - Operation: Amazon (to be honest, it was the cover of this one, just recently released, that drew me to this series)

Still to come - Operation: Loch Ness, Operation: Innsmouth, Operation: Rockies, Operation: UR, and Operation: Mongolia.

Good stuff!

Rating: 4/5 Skulls

No comments: