Monday, June 10, 2013

'14' [Book Review]


Genre - Mystery/Science Fiction/Fantasy/Thriller/Horror
Year Published - 2012 (Published by Permuted Press)
Length - I have no idea the actual length of this book - I read it on my Kindle App, on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and there it stated 8,330 (phone) pages.
Written by Peter Clines

Rating: 5 Skulls

[***I recommend that you skip the plot summary, entirely, and just dive headlong into the book - that's what I did, and I think it enhanced the mystery of it all***]
However, if you insist, here it is...

Plot Summary:
Padlocked doors. Strange lightfixtures. Mutant Cockroaches.

There are some odd things about Nate's new apartment.

Of course, he has other things on his mind. He hates his job. He has no money in the bank. No girlfriend. No plans for the future. So while his new home isn't perfect, it's livable. The rent is low, the property managers are friendly, and the odd little mysteries don't nag at him too much.

At least not until he meets Mandy, his neighbor across the hall, and notices something unusual about her apartment. And Xela's apartment. And Tim's. And Veek's.

Because every room in this old Los Angeles brownstone has a mystery or two. Mysteries that stretch back over a hundred years. Some of them are in plain sight. Some are behind locked doors. And all together these mysteries could mean the end of Nate and his friends.

Or the end of everything. . .


Review:
This book has been on my reading list, probably since January - I kept seeing it pop up, on at least 3 or 4 different occasions, as "Best Book of 2012" and after having now read it, I can definitely see why this was the case, and why it will definitely appear on my list of best books read this year, come December.

Other than the above, the only thing that I knew about this book, going in, was the blurb on the front cover - "A riveting apocalyptic mystery in the style of LOST" (a perfect description by the way! Any fan of the television show 'Lost' should definitely read this book!)
As I stated earlier, above the Plot Summary, I am actually glad that I started reading this book without reading the description first - it added to the mystery, and I would recommend that you do the same.

Peter Clines did an outstanding job writing this book! Each character is well fleshed out and easily related to. The book is perfectly paced - Clines will drive you right to the edge,and then he'll solve pieces of the mystery, just before you think that you'll go mad without knowing what is going on and why.
Just wait until you see what is behind the door of apartment #14!

I definitely recommend this book! (especially if you are a fan of Lovecraft!)

If you enjoy Mystery novels - great!
If you prefer Science Fiction/Fantasy - fantastic!
If you love Thrillers or Horror - excellent!
If you are a fan of only one or two of the above, still give the book a shot - I bet that you will be pleasantly surprised!

Jason

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this article.
It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

my site - awesome hot sex xvideos site (www.sex-xxx-erotica.com)