Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Eden Lake


Genre - Horror
Year Released - 2008
Running Time - 91 minutes
Directed by James Watkins (this is his directorial debut)
Written by James Watkins (he is also a co-writer on the upcoming The Descent: Part 2)
Cast Includes:
Kelly Reilly
Michael Fassbender (Azazeal from the British television series HEX - he is also in 300 and will be in the upcoming Jonah Hex film, as well as Inglourious Basterds)
Jack O'Connell

Rating: 4 Skulls


Plot Summary:
Jenny and Steve are in love and about to get engaged during a calm lake getaway - but they'll first have to survive a pillaging and murderous gang of kids led by the psychotic Brett. When Steve tries to quell the violence, matters turn from scary to gruesomely deadly.


Review:
This movie was released on DVD, in January, and I just now - finally - saw it [thanks to someone out there who sent it to me, with me being totally unaware!] 
I must say that this film was totally worth the wait, and even though it was released [in the UK] in 2008, it definitely has the potential to make it on my 'best horror list' of 2009! 

First of all, I was totally enamored with Kelly Reilly [an actress that I am unfamiliar with] She was great in this movie - she made her character totally believable, and made the film well worthwhile. Not only was she great, the film was fantastically written - this is definitely an intense film! [I kept saying to myself - "Just let it go!" or "Hurry" or 'Get out of there", etc - always a good sign] ;-)


If you haven't seen this one yet, it is definitely recommended - just keep in mind that it is a brutal film, that involves teenagers as the antagonists.

Here's the trailer:


Jason

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Intense indeed. I loved this movie, but wow did it pack a punch.

Johnny 666 said...

Now this is one I'm gonna be watching shortly, I have the dvd, just waiting to play it. fun times!

Johnny said...

Knew you'd like this one and i'm so glad ya did!

the sneering (homo-phobic) snob said...

the strange cult items "unman, wittering, and zigo" (1971) and "blood on satans claw" (1970) were incredibly nauseating to me when i saw them on television 30 years ago and after reading what you said about "eden lake" i think i`ll avoid it because it would probably nauseate me in the same way. Thanks for the warning.

Unknown said...

Yeah this definitely was a cool flick.

The Igloo Keeper said...

Nice! I wrote about this in The Igloo recently.

Wings1295 said...

I am curious about this one, I have seen reviews both loving it and hating it. Should be interesting when I do get a chance to view it myself. :)

Chris said...

I watched this one shortly after High Tension, which overshadowed Eden Lake for me. I need to go back and watch this one again. Looking at the movie posters and screen stills, I am getting flooded with the intensity all over again.

thebonebreaker said...

Rev, Right on! Glad that you enjoyed this one as much as I did! :-)


Johnny (666) - I would bet money that you will like this one! Let me know, after you watch it.!


Johnny, you were right and Thanks Bro! ;-)


Snob, I have never even heard of the films that you've mentioned, but if they have to do with teenagers brutalizing others, then you would probably do best to stay away from this one. . .


Mike, Glad you liked it as well :-)


IK, Yes, I remember - you also reviewed The Children, which I am also looking forward to checking out!


Wings, be sure to let me know your thoughts, after you have finally seen it! [like I said, for me, it was worth the wait!]


Chris, I can definitely see how High Tension overshadowed Eden Lake - as taut as Eden Lake was, in no way did it compare to the tension of High Tension! :-)
Definitely give Eden Lake another shot down the road!

Thanks gentlemen, for your comments!

J