Monday, January 21, 2019

Midnight Crossroad

I am one of the few who enjoyed watching Midnight, Texas when it aired on NBC, and I was disappointed when they cancelled the show, after only its second season, a few weeks ago. So, I have decided to just read the books that the show is based on. This is book one (of the trilogy).

I am just going to come out and say it. As rare as it is, in this particular situation, I feel that the show is actually better than the book - believe it or not! (Note: I did not feel this way with True Blood. In that case, I felt that the Sookie Stackhouse series was far better than the show.)

First of all, whoever cast the show basically threw the book out the window! (Not really an issue, just saying.) The first season followed this first book very closely, so there were really no surprises. My biggest issue with the book is that the character's supernatural abilities were hardly touched upon. There was only a lot of subtle foreshadowing. For instance, when a woman entered the Rev's church, she immediately ran out "as if a tiger were chasing her". Or with Joe & Chuy's angelic Halloween costumes, their wings looked so realistic. . . (fans of the show will get these subtleties without spoilers)

All in all, I still enjoyed the book. I am just hoping that the next two will expand more upon the characters.

4/5 Skulls

No comments: