Sunday, January 8, 2017

Vacation Under the Volcano (Magic Tree House #13) [Book Review]

Today, I interrupt my usual book review post to bring you. . .

Vacation Under the Volcano (Book #13 in the Magic Tree House series) brought to you by my youngest son [age 10]

Genre - Children's Fiction
Year Published - 1998
Length - 74 pages
Written by Mary Pope Osborne

(Son's) Rating: 5 out of 5

Plot Summary:
Who wants to vacation next to a volcano?

Jack and Annie are about to find out when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the days of the Roman Empire.
They arrive in Pompeii and soon discover that it is the very day the city will be destroyed. Now Jack and Annie must race against time to find an ancient library before it is buried in ash!

Review:
Before I write my son's review, a little backstory...

My children are allowed to stay up as late as they want to, on Friday nights, if they are reading. (Nothing else, simply reading) This drives my youngest nuts, as he does not really like to read. (My wife and I are both avid readers, and we have 4 kids - of those 4, only 1 loves to read. One is not really a reader, one is a casual reader - reads books here and there, and then my youngest who wants to read, but really just hasn't found the right book/genre/series. Until now... He is loving these Magic Tree House books!)

As always, if one of my kids wants me to read what they are reading, they have to write me a book review first.

Here is my son's review - verbatim (again, age 10):

"I think that Vacation under the Volcano is a great book! When I read this book, it is like I am really there! It is a magical book! If I were to rate this book, it would be 5 out of 5 stars. This book is great! It is like I am on an adventure! *Book #13 will blow your pants off!"

*Now you know why I had to share this review. ;-) How could I refuse after that?

So there you have it. If you have younger children who are looking for a good series of books, give The Magic Tree House series a shot!

Jason

No comments: